Electric grills have been around for a while now, George Foreman led the charge about 15 years ago. And thanks to George it is now possible to cook food indoors or outdoors without the mess of charcoal or lighter fluid. What can go missing is the smoky flavor that so many desire from food off the barbecue. Here are some tips to help you grill with electricity but still get that smoked food taste.
What is Electric Grills
To get the smoky flavor you’re gonna need some smoke. Your smoke source will be wood in the form of chips or a large chunk. Wrap a handful of chips in a double layer of heavy aluminum foil, and use a fork to poke a few holes in it. Poke too few holes, and the wood will not get enough air to burn. Poke too many, and the wood may burn up too quickly. So go for very few and poke more as you go until you find what works for you.
Whether wood chips or chunks, you will need to learn the nature of your particular electric barbeque grill to determine the best placement. The wood may be best suited to positions above, below, or beside the element. So long as you get a small but steady stream of smoke, it is enough.
If your electric grill cycles the element on and off based on the thermostat, it may be necessary to increase the heat setting to have enough heat to get wood smoking. The next consideration becomes how to avoid burning the food. Increase the distance between the element and the food when you’re smoking it.
The smoke cannot be excessive from the wood, nor can it be allowed to accumulate around the food. The goal is a stream of smoke around the food and out the top area of your grill. If your grill lid has a vent hole of some sort, it needs to be fully open.
Another obvious safety point is to remember the possibility of your wood flaming up. Keep a spray bottle of water handy to mist the wood. Remember that the smoking wood gets a large load of oxygen when you lift the lid, and you should be prepared to keep it safe.
- All Clad Copper Cookware – Product Description and Review
- Best Copper Cookware Sets [Buying Guide and Safety]
- Best Cookware Set – Cookware Set Reviews
- Choosing the Best Cookware Sets is incredibly important!
- Cuisinart Cookware Set Guide [All You Need to Know]
- Buying Professional Cookware: is it Worth the Cost?
- Using Hard Anodized Cookware [Complete Guide]
- Buying Cookware Sets [Complete Guide]
- Types of Cookware [All About Cookware and It’s Materials]
- What to Make During Your Special Occasions
- Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-Piece Forged Kitchen Knife Block Set Review
- Wusthof Classic 3-Piece Kitchen Knife Set Review
- Advanced Guy Fieri 12-Piece Kitchen Knife Set with Wooden Block Review
- Top Chef by Master Cutlery Kitchen Knife Set review
- Advanced Victorinox 8-Piece Kitchen Knife Block Set review
- Ginsu Chikara 8-piece Japanese Kitchen Knife Set Review
- Cuisinart 15-Piece Stainless Steel Hollow Handle Kitchen Knife Set With Block Review
- Advanced Wusthof Classic 7-Piece Cutlery Kitchen Knife Set Review
- Best Kitchen Knife Set [Reviews on the Markets]
- What is Portable Gas Grills? [All You Need to Know]
- All About Pasta Makers [Complete Guide]
- All About Grill Covers [Complete Guide for Beginners]
- What is Electric Grills? [Tips for Smoky Flavor]
- All About Stainless Steel Cookware [Complete Guide]
- Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipe (Make It in 7 Steps)
- Can You Microwave McDonald’s Coffee Cups? [Solved]
- What is Cast Iron Cookware? All You Need to Know
- 11 Best Cuisinart Cookware Set [Top Selection]
- 8 Best Cookware For Indian Cooking In USA
- What is a Copper Cookware? [Complete Guide for Newbies]
- What is a Potato Ricer? [All You Need to Know]
- Decorating A Breakfast Nook [Special Occasions Décor]
- The Growing Demand for POD Coffee Makers
- Kitchen Wall Clock [Redesign Your Kitchen with Clocks]
- Redesign Your Kitchen with Trash Cans
- Cooking with Food Strainers [Complete Guide]
- Buying A Commercial Mixer for Baking [Complete Guide]
- Best Way to Juice Wheat Grass: With An Inexpensive Hand Juicer
- Top 10 Ways to Get Rid of Leftover Halloween Candy
- Top 5 Reasons to Purchase an Electric Grain Mill
- How to Choose a Knife Holder | Best knife holder tips
- How to choose Nakiri Knife | Best Buying Guide
- What is a Fruit Knife | Find Best Fruit Knife
- Vegetable knife Vs Nakiri [Which is the Best]
- Best Knife Sharpening Guide [With + Without Sharpener]
- Santoku vs Chef Knife – Which is best used for?
- How to Sharpen a Knife Without a Knife Sharpener
- How to Fix a Pocket Knife that won’t Close | Best Tips
- How To Slice Sushi | Tips and Tricks
- How to Close a Pocket Knife [Complete Tutorial]
Meco electric grills are what many folks use in condo communities or apartment complexes where there are sometimes restrictions on having a regular grill. Many people have found a lot of success using them.